Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Auburn-Fleming Trail (Auburn, NY)

 

Located southeast of the city of Auburn, New York, the Auburn-Fleming Trail is located on an abandoned railway bed that crosses steams and is surrounded by wetlands. Consequently, the insects can be particularly ferocious during the summer. This is the second time I walked the trail. The previous time in 2019, I did not encounter anyone on it. This time, I saw one runner who seemed as surprised to see me, as I him. Wildlife, too, are not used to human presence. I spooked a blue heron at one of the three creek crossing, which in turn startled me as well.

One of the small bridges using trestles from the railroad

Although at the northern terminus there is quite a bit of trash and debris, further from the beginning of the trail it seems hardly used. There are several signs within just a few feet of the trail asserting private property. The trail was part of an interurban trolley line and on the northern end several railroad ties are visible, partially buried. I like the trail because it feels remote, and unexplored. It is maintained by a snowmobile clubs, suggesting to me that reveals its primary use. But as I am an infrequent visitor, that could be an erroneous assertion.

Railroad ties barely protruding to the surface

Running for about one-and-one-half miles, the trail stretches south from Dunning Avenue in Auburn to NY Route 34 near Shumaker Crossing.



No comments:

Post a Comment