Saturday, June 13, 2015

Translating English

Traveling often requires translation, even if we are traveling in a place where the same language is spoken.  Much like Pittsburgh or Central Pennsylvania, and a number of other places, local shops in Ballycastle sell curios and souvenirs with local colloquialisms translated for the visitor. Although sometimes accurate, these tourist gifts do not help when confronted with difficult dialects. Hence, when my host at my bed & breakfast in Ballycastle asked. “Did you see the whale?” I was a little befuddled and unsure how to respond. Did I miss something in the news? Had a whale beached itself along the coast? I decided it was unlikely and feigned that I did not hear her and implied I would like a restatement.  Translation: did you sleep well? 

No comments:

Post a Comment