Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Challenges of a Hawk

 

A Cooper's Hawk in Our Backyard

Angie called up to the office, “There’s a hawk in the backyard if you want to see it.” I scurried down the steps, grabbing my camera near the backdoor on the way. Just at the tree line was beautiful cooper’s hawk probably scouting the birds who frequent ours and our neighbors’ birdfeeders. I snapped a few photos through the window, which were not good. I opened the sliding door to the backyard, using my leg to prevent Coco from going out. I indicated to her that she was likely too big to be a target of the hawk, but any interaction with it would not be good. I took a few more pictures, each time I did the hawk instinctively turned its head to determine the source of the sound. It was patient, but as I approached the edge of the porch it sensed I was potentially dangerous and flew away.

About an hour later, when I was walking the neighborhood, the cries of crows caught my attention. In the middle of the field between the houses and the grocery store parking lot, I saw two insistent crows badgering a hawk in a lone small tree. Whether it was the same bird that visited our backyard a little while before was impossible to tell. As the hawk took flight, the two crows took turns nipping at its tailfeathers. The poor hawk: looking for a little subsistence on a cold day and finding only intrusion and interference.

No comments:

Post a Comment