Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve Morning

 

Pip warm and safe - Christmas Eve morning

Pip and I were engaging in our morning rituals of working in the office this Christmas Eve morning. It was cold outside (+4°F), as it had been for few days. I read Stave One of A Christmas Carol a few nights prior, and am always struck by how Dickens illustrated the callousness and greed of Scrooge. When asked for a donation to provide the poor with a meat, drink, and means of warmth, Scrooge flatly declines, eventually adding, “I can’t afford to make idle people merry.” Scrooge cannot even provide a little extra coal to his decidedly not idle assistant Bob Cratchit to help keep warm in the office.

The wind and the cold were seeping through the window of the office. I rolled a towel and placed it on the windowsill to help keep out the cold. Not wanting to be Scrooge to my Bob Cratchit, I provide a little more “coal” for Pip’s fire this Christmas Eve morning. Yes, a heating pad to place on his office chair while he kept me company during my writing session.

Cratchit later describes Tiny Tim, “As good as gold, and better…” a description that fits my buddy Pip as well. If he could speak, I am sure that Pip would share Tim’s sentiments often, “God bless us every one!”

#spoiledcats #spoiledpeople #achristmascarol

No comments:

Post a Comment