Friday, November 25, 2022

Thanksgiving Post Card #3

 

Old Bridge Over Middle Spring Creek 

25 November

The morning walk on the CVRT is colder than the fifty-three degrees the thermometer indicates. It is cloudy, windy, damp, and raw.

I walk the trail between Ott Road in Oakville Road, which is a pleasant area for birds, scenic vistas, and into the hamlet of Oakville. The tail also passes a house where several barn cats live, some of which are shy, and some are friendly. Today, as I walked by, a long-haired calico identified me as a sympathetic human right away. She started talking, and as I stopped, she ran up and started winding around my legs. I could not help but reached out and give her a pat which made her more affectionate.

I told her I would see her on my return trip, but I had to go. A healthy tree had been taken down recently for no apparent reason and left along the side of the path; I am always perplexed by the trail maintenance. As I was surveying the tree, I glanced around to see the calico running after me. I had left her 300 yards behind. But here she was trotting down the trail, chattering away. I anthropomorphized animals, especially cats, but it was as if she said, “I could use a warm bed, some lovey, and a steady food supply.” She tugged at my heart, but II had to say no.

My afternoon walk was more pleasant. Although not warmer, the sun had come out and the skies began to clear. Dykeman Park in Shippensburg is known for its duck pond, but the trail that bears the same name between the two railroad tracks, is hidden part of the borough not often seen unless explored. Baseball fields and semi-abandoned commercial structures, and Middle Spring Creek occupy the area. I like walking through here, seeing birds and abandoned oddities, but more of the time I am on a mission to see the resident belted kingfisher, which hangs out by the ponds and whose rattled call gives it away every time.

 

Calico Cat and a friend 

Resident Belted Kingfisher with lunch at Dykeman

Beneath the railroad bridge at Dykeman 


No comments:

Post a Comment