Sunday, February 13, 2022

Kings Gap: Rock Scree Trail

 

Looking out over the Cumberland Valley from Rock Scree Trail

Beginning at the bottom of the hill, at the Pine Plantation parking area, and ending at the mansion at the top, I find rock scree to be of the most challenging of the trails in the park. Whereas Kings Gap Road takes a circuitous 4-miles route to the mansion, this trail is more direct, and the elevation climb more substantial. It is just a little under two miles but challenging. And once at the top, there is always the return trip to be made, at least it is downhill from there. Still, it is one of my favorite trails because of the change in scenery and the challenge.

Pine trees are among my favorites. The tall straight loblolly pines in the Pine Plantation recreation area are inspiring. On a windy day, such as this, the whooshing sound of air going through the pine needles is amazing. Yet, many trees not doing well in this area. The number of dead and downed trees is disturbing. I had to step over four downed trees at the beginning of the walk. From the road it is apparent that many trees had been feasted on by woodpeckers, doubtlessly ravished some infestation.

Despite being 50 degrees there is still some ice on small ponds and, consequently, some very muddy stretches. But it is the first time I have been on the trails at Kings Gap this year. Some snow is still on the ground and trail on north side of the hills. My hike, on the second Saturday of February, coincides with the birthday of Abraham Lincoln, who gave his most famous speech just thirty miles away in Gettysburg.  Earlier in the week, it was the birthday of Charles Dickens, who would often walk twelve miles a day. The day before, it was the birthday of Patrick Leigh Fermor, one of the best travel writers and who at eighteen began his walk across Europe in December 1933.

The Rock Scree

The rocky path is tricky on good days, but a layer of dead leaves hides rocks on which twisted ankles might occur. A scree, not a particularly common word I think, is a collection of rocks that have fallen from a higher elevation. A source notes that is comes from the old Norse word skritha, meaning landslide.  Just as I work my way through the scree, I meet an older gentleman carrying an empty plastic root beer bottle walking with an adolescent who never made eye contact with me. I took the opportunity to move to the side of the path to let them pass, ostensibly to be polite but actually needing a rest. The kindly man sheepishly said, “Picking up trash… I hate when people do that…” I agreed with his sentiment, but breathing heavily I just got out, “I know.” He continued, shaking his head, “So disrespectful. Have a nice day!” I bade him a good day as well, recovered a bit, and continued. The worse of the climb was over. 

Near the top of the trail, close to the intersection of Forest Heritage Trail, one of my old friends stands in silent vigil. It is a tall, mature Black Gum tree, with most of its trunk rotted away. I know that it can survive like this for years, but it has a terminal condition. You can see through it, and the gap in its wood on the inside goes up a further three feet from what is seen from the trail. It is susceptible to wind, and it is not getting the optimal amount of nutrients from its roots. I like to walk by and check on it when I am hiking in the area. Typically, I give it a pat as I go by as an acknowledgment.

An old friend
From there, the trail is a nice walk through the woods. Crossing the road means another tenth of a mile or so, up a rather steep incline, to the mansion area and the trailhead of many trails. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment