Friday, February 25, 2022

Kings Gap: Ridge Overlook Trail

 

The Cumberland Valley from Ridge Overlook

With the invasion of Ukraine beginning the day before, it is hard to put world events out of one’s mind to enjoy being in nature. My Friday afternoon long hikes are a way to buffer myself from the demands of my job, the stress of work, to refresh and reset going into the weekend. But the inability to disengage from news about the largest military invasion since the Second World War because many people will ask me to explain it, keeps my car’s radio tuned to the BBC the entire drive to Kings Gap. On the way, I stop by Dutch Country Store to buy bread, oatmeal, and pretzels. And then, pick up a sandwich at Kings Gap General Store.

It was a particularly windy day. So much so, that as I was walking to my car from the office, I noticed a pair of Canada Geese flying overhead. A sudden gust of wind blew one into another. Both recovered, within a second but I have never seen anything like that before. Overnight, a wintery mix brought a coating of ice pellets, most of which were gone by the time I started out for the walk.

The Ridge Overlook trail is less than a mile in length, so to get more miles in during my walk. I parked at the Black Gum parking area and walked up the road to Rock Scree trail, and from there to access Ridge Overlook. On the way, I stopped by and checked on my old friend and saw it was surviving the high winds well. In retrospect, I probably did the trail backwards. Starting from Rock Scree, I was starting from the near the top and walking down. The highest elevation is at the overlook which is about a third of a mile from the road.

It is not often that I hike the entire trail, rather I access it from Rock Scree. On Sunday mornings, when Angie is participating in her yoga class, the overlook is often my first stop. It is about half a mile from the lodge, and a nice place to have a coffee before starting out in earnest on whatever exploration or hike I might be doing. The overlook, a rocky ledge that overlooks the Cumberland Valley, has a good vista. In the fall, it is along the path that birds of prey will take during their migration.

Ridge Overlook follows the ridgeline down the creek

The good thing about starting the trail from near the mansion is that the highest elevation of the trail is near the beginning. While that diminishes the cardio workout that one might want. But, on the other hand, the trail is a rocky and treacherous descent. When it is wet, you are focusing on your feet rather than the trees, birds, and views.

The trail terminates at Kings Gap Hollow Trail, near the pump house. 

Because it follows a ridgeline, the trail can often be difficult to navigate


No comments:

Post a Comment