Thursday, February 3, 2022

CVRT 2022-02-03

The CVRT between Queen Street and Fogelsonger Road.

The promise of an early February ice storm raised the possibility that my 400-plus day consecutive walking streak might come to an end. As a prelude, the front end of the storm brought a persistent rain helped melt the ice that covered the trail for the past two weeks. Sometimes, when the weather is bad like this, noticing the birds, the trees, and other sights is less important. The act of walking is more about concentrating on maintaining a pace, to keep going, and finishing positively. Ignoring that your pants are getting wetter, colder, and heavier, is not helpful. Still, I did catch a few male cardinals, their bright red plumage muted by the fog, flying through the trees. Rather than singing birds, my ears were focused on the sound of the rain on my umbrella.

I got back to my car after about half an hour, and the heated seats I have left on from the morning. My wet pants, damp boots, and socks are a mild discomfort. I would soon be home to change into dry clothes. But I thought of those who did not have that luxury. The temperature would soon drop, and being outside damp, if not wet, would not only be uncomfortable, but as the night set in and the rain turned to ice, it would be dangerous. If I had to spend the night outside in weather like this, where would I go? What would I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment