Friday, January 6, 2017

The Hazards of Walking

While I was walking on West Gorrie Drive, there was a car approaching straddling the yellow line in the middle of the road. It is customary on the island to acknowledge one another, whether on foot, bike, or motorized vehicle, but since the car was more than a block away this seemed a bit over the top. People in automobiles are seemingly more sensitive to pedestrians because it is a resort area and there is a noticeable lack of sidewalks. I have observed that most drivers take care to give walkers (and joggers) plenty of room and overtly signal that there are aware of the pedestrian’s presence. The standard procedure is for walkers to acknowledge drivers for their consideration. I usually provide a polite wave and, in return, the driver provides a similar response. Most drivers return the wave, but some just raise an index finger while they grip the steering wheel.

The car in question was giving me a great deal of leeway as it approached. As it approached I raised my hand as a gesture of gratitude; however, the driver did not even look at me. It soon became apparent what was going on. The driver was completely oblivious to my acknowledgement of thanks because she was preoccupied with other things. Her forearms were resting on the steering wheel as she typed out a message on her pink smartphone. What I thought was a kind gesture had nothing to do with me. As far as I could tell, she did not even know I existed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment