Sunday, January 15, 2017

Walking in Grand Forks (in January)

Grand Forks at sunrise. Temperature: -2 F
Winter in North Dakota means that it is cold. But when local complain about how ridiculously cold it is, then you know that it is really cold. I arrived for my first visit to the state, late one Thursday night in mid-January. Upon landing, I turned on my smartphone and anxiously waited to see the current temperature: -22˚F, with a wind chill of -38˚. Yet, the impulse to walk and explore remains. After a number of substantial snowstorms in Grand Forks, meant that walking was a process of navigating a maze of paths cut through piles of snow and drifts. The sun does not get very high in the sky creating long shadows, even around lunchtime. Melting is not a significant factor. Thus, while it is cold, you do not get wet. Dressed appropriately, I was comfortable most of the time. But the wind did make for some cold moments. The sun shone for much of the long weekend, thus the walker has a choice of walking in the sun, which provides a limited source of warmth, or walking in the shadows of buildings, which provides a break against the wind.  
The Red River,: The border between North Dakota and
Minnesota
The snow piles, sometimes fifteen to twenty feet high, are a concern for a pedestrian. It is doubtful local drivers are accustomed to seeing walkers out during the winter. Additionally, the size of the snow piles and drifts can obscure many walkers. That being said, I found the local drivers to be very polite and considerate. Still, it could be hard for drivers to see the rare walker who braves sub-zero weather by choice, or necessity. Several drivers kindly waved me across the road, allowing plenty of distance while I crossed. Many were seemingly sympathetic to anyone who has to be out in these temperatures. Nevertheless, sidewalks and paths are not always clear and the walker must occasionally choose a path in the road or knee-deep snow on the sidewalks.

Of course, the extreme cold, and walks on mildly treacherous sidewalks, gave me a voracious appetite. Yet, the local cuisine is largely built upon a meat and starch culture. When I mentioned that to Andrew, he replied, jokingly, “What gives you that idea?” I told him that there was, literally, specks of carrots in my chicken fried rice, which I am pretty sure was there for decoration rather than subsistence.


No comments:

Post a Comment