Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas in Melbourne

Traveling is always provides a sense of dislocation. This is why, perhaps, I like it. We experience something new and different; it is a challenge to understand a new city, different ways of doing things, and translating cultures. Granted that my current trip does not require much in the way of translating language, although there has been a few times when I have asked people to repeat themselves. Nevertheless, travel insists that we examine our own lives, actions and customs, focusing on why we do the things we do.

On a flight from Auckland to Melbourne, on Christmas morning, I was seated on the front row of the aircraft. During take-off and landing this provided an opportunity for me and my fellow passengers to chat with two flight attendants. I commiserated with them on having to work on Christmas; although I did not say this, there were a many of holidays I had to work. The woman from Auckland seated next to me was on her way to Hobart for Christmas with her sister. She asked about my plans and I said that I would be exploring Melbourne. She made some comment about being alone on Christmas, to which I replied, “from my perspective, it doesn't much seem like Christmas.” She commented, “There is no snow, is there?”

It's a Wonderful Life shown on the big
screen in Federation Square, Melbourne
When I arrived in Melbourne I happened upon an article by Jason Wilson, who wrote about how European Christmas traditions made the holiday in Australia surreal.  Walking the city, in perfect 70˚ (F) and sunny weather, was an odd feeling. Santa Claus and snowmen are found throughout the city. Young men and women were wearing red Santa suits with matching caps throughout my travels over the past 48 hours. The most incongruous thing I saw was a group of people watching It’s a Wonderful Life on a big screen television in Federation Square in the city center of Melbourne. The thought of people sitting in summer attire, beneath shade umbrellas, watching the classic film about Christmas avarice and the importance of friendship and family in snowing Bedford Falls was a bit odd. 


Flinder Station, Melbourne
I continued with my own cinematic Christmas tradition. Much like the Parker family in A Christmas Story, I had my Christmas dinner out at a Chinese restaurant. My meal consisted of pork bone soup and steamed pork and wombok dumplings at a traditional restaurant. My dinner at a Chinese restaurant, however, was not necessitated by a pack of wild dogs stealing my turkey. 


Centre Square, Rotorua 


No comments:

Post a Comment