Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A frequent and faithful stop

Each year when I travel to Berlin, inevitably I visit the same place: the launderette in Wilmersdorf. There is a reason: it is clean, convenient and I have figured out how to use it. The establishment is more high tech than most because it has a central board where on pays money and controls the machines. In many ways I look forward to this stop because I can have clean clothes and regroup for the next portion of the trip.
Over the past eight years, or so, I have patronized this particular laundry mat, the same man has managed (or owned) the business. Although he is stern and somewhat severe, he is always kind and gracious to people who need help. But for people who do not follow his rules (some of which are unwritten) he offers pointed advice and directions. Once, several years ago, he chastised me for placing the wheels of my suitcase on a table used for folding laundry. I understand why as this helps to keep the place clean and prevents clean laundry from becoming dirty. Nevertheless, I was a little embarrassed by his chastisement.

During my visit this year an incident between the manager and an elder man escalated. The conversation, in German, was heated and rapid enough that I did not understand what the disagreement was about. A younger German-speaking customer, folding his laundry, kept shaking his head in disagreement each time the elderly man spoke. I reflected as I finished folding my own laundry that the manager’s actions were why I came back each year. He provides a clean comfortable place that is helpful and comfortable for his clients. It is one of the small charms of my Berlin sojourns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment