Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Conversation about Life and Death in Ancient Egypt

At a special exhibit on ancient Egyptian burials at the National Museum of Scotland, I was looking at the sarcophagus of the priest Nehemsumut, circa 840-815 BC. There was a group of grade one children, on a class outing, in the same area. I was pressed by the assignment sheets they were using as a lesson examining burial practices and using impressive vocabulary words. A little boy, with blond hair, wearing his school uniform blue jumper, engaged me in an earnest conversation:
Boy: That's a mummy.
Me: Yes. It is very cool, isn't it?
Boy: You know the mummy in there is still alive!
Me: Are you sure?
Boy: Yes. He’s really alive!
Boy’s friend: (with analytical skepticism) I think he’s dead.
Me: (nodding, earnestly) I think he is dead too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment