Monday, June 9, 2014

Endangered Species 2014

Following a post from last year about the declining number of telephone booths and postal boxes, particularly in the United Kingdom, I found some more examples. This time the condition of each seems more aesthetic than functional. In both Stockholm and Malmö I came across these Rikstelefon booths (neither actually had telephones in them). The booths were located in the old town sections of each of the respective cities.


Stockholm
Malmo
Moate
Additionally, in Moate, Ireland, I found this Victorian era mail slot that was no longer in use. My journeys also took me to the Postal Museum in Stockholm, where I observed several interesting specimens of postal history. In one room a quote about stamp collecting from Charles J. Phillips was painted on the wall: “The King of Hobbies and the Hobby of Kings” (1936). Given the decline in mailed letters and letter writing, and the use of personalized stamps, it seems doubtful whether philatelic pursuits would be popular in the future.  



No comments:

Post a Comment