Monday, July 19, 2021

Kino Mĕstské Divadlo (Pelhřimov, Czech Republic)

 


Looking through some of the postcards I have collected of theaters over the years, this cinema in Pelhřimov seems very remote and far away. I have never visited this small city, and I am not sure I will. But the theater, which still stands and is now known as the Lubomír Lipský Theater (Divadlo Lubomíra Lipského), looks like many of the buildings in Prague. The postcard is dated 1959, during the Communist era, just prior to Prague Spring, which brought a flourishing of Czech Cinema that I love so much. Thinking about what people in central Czechoslovakia may have been watching, what the experience of attending a cinema during that era was like, is nearly unfathomable to me.

Location: Solní 1814, 393 01 Pelhřimov, Czechia


No comments:

Post a Comment