Thursday, June 2, 2016

Meeting royalty while waiting for a transfer

While waiting for the X20 bus to Athlone at Dublin Airport, the bus stand was very crowded and I was trapped between other people and a luggage trolley someone had left. These trolleys serve an odd function in Anglo-Irish airports. It seems that they are almost a requirement for air travelers. Even if a person only has one piece of luggage, even with wheels, people seem compelled to use one to move their luggage through the airport. This is a journey from the luggage claim to the next form of transportation. Yet, the luggage trolley stays at the airport. How people manage to maneuver their bags beyond that point remains a mystery.

I had my bag resting against the railing, which prevented pedestrians from wandering into the roadway around the airport, and adjacent to the trolley. My attention was turned to the announcement board, which indicated that the bus was due to arrive, but scanning the road leading to the bus stop there were no sign of the vehicle that was to take me to the heart of Ireland. Out of nowhere, this older woman with an American accent pushed her way through the crowded and addressed me. “My good sir,” with fake seriousness, “please allow me to retrieve my throne.” I was a little embarrassed, both for her and that I as being addressed in this manner, and slightly move my bag without saying a word while she retrieved the luggage trolley. As she moved away she said, “It may not be much of a throne, but it is made in Germany and steers very well.” She maneuvered the trolley between a couple of people and positioned it adjacent to the curb, whereupon she sat with her feet planted precariously close to where bus wheels came and went. Shortly thereafter my bus did arrive – confusion reigned because the sign across the top misidentified the route and destination – and the woman remained seated, in what I would have estimated as in an uncomfortable seat, and did not get on the bus. There was a little voice in my head that said, “good, that’s one less crazy person on the bus.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment