Monday, November 10, 2014

On the occasion of your 106th birthday

I have been thinking about you a lot lately; it has been a little over 25 years since you died. Many of the things that you might have recognized are no more. The church building that you loved and nurtured is still standing; however, the congregation that you knew has been disbursed. The buildings of the railroad where you toiled in a lifetime of work are still standing, but the company has long since been bought and it is now part of a major international corporation. Sadly your son is no longer with us; however, your grandsons and your great-grandchildren thrive and are happy.
Even though you are no longer with us, you are in my mind. You are still a role model, especially when it comes to treating people with kindness and patience. Your memory reminds me that quietness and thoughtfulness are not vices; they are comforting to those around us. It is those who are patient and kind get the most out of life. Greatness is not found in grandiose awards, but in the simple recognition of your friends and neighbors. 
You once told me, a couple years before you died, how much you enjoyed your travels. I still remember long drives on Sunday afternoons in the country, just exploring. We were seeing what was “around that bend” or “over that hill.” Your one travel regret, you said, was that you never had the opportunity to visit the land of our ancestors, and of your mother: Germany. I have been there and I am lucky enough to visit often. You should know it is interesting and beautiful and you would have loved it. On the day before your first birthday after your death, momentous events in Berlin changed the world. It was remarkable and I remembered you that evening. All these years later, I continue to think of you often and especially every time I find myself in Germany. 

Happy birthday, Fred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment