Monday, September 15, 2014

Neon Signs

Ever since I heard an interview, on Thinking Allowed, with Christoph Ribbat, neon signs and lights have caught my attention more often. I have been attracted by their beauty and mysterious glow, but had not really thought about their social significance. Subsequently, I bought and read his book and have thought more about the place of these lights in our cultures. My visit to the Museum of Vancouver, with multiple restored neon lights, was a great introduction to the use, construction and preservation of neon. A segment in the recent Ric Sebak film, A History of Pittsburgh in 17 Objects focuses on the importance of neon as a dying art form.
Rather than creating multiple blog entries for newly discovered neon sign, I have created a page dedicated to some of my photographs of neon signs and the stories behind them. I will update as I find more signs, new places and interesting stories.
My collection of neon signs can be found at: http://curioussojourner.blogspot.com/p/neon-signs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment