Thursday, August 7, 2014

A Texas Lunch in Lock Haven

Even though I had multiple ringed coffee-stains on my khaki shorts from a leaky cup I rested on my leg while driving, the employees and management of the Texas Lunch Restaurant in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania welcomed me to their fine establishment. After much consideration I chose the Texas Lunch after hearing an interview with Shawn Micallef about his new book about how we dismiss some eating options because of class concerns. This establishment, I decided, is where you have breakfast, not brunch. Open since 1918, the restaurant bills itself as the “home of the Growler,” which appears to be a hot dog of sorts. Large hot dogs and hamburgers seem to be a theme of “Texas lunch” establishments that dot Pennsylvania.
As you walk into the Texas Lunch, there are ten small booths that line the right hand wall. To the left is an open kitchen with a grill top and a deep fryer. Stainless steel is the predominant material throughout the restaurant. Beyond the cooking area, there is a double-U shaped counter with traditional diner stools, which is where I had my lunch. Prominently adorning the walls in the back of the restaurant are four replica New York Yankee uniforms (Ruth #3, Gehrig #4, DiMaggio #5, and Mantle #7). Across the way is a large shadow box with several autographed baseballs. There are a few items from Lock Haven University as well.

As I was having my grilled ham and cheese sandwich, two fellows wearing sleeveless shirts sat a few seats away at the counter. They each had two chili dogs and shared a plate of fries. Meanwhile, in a booth behind me, two late-middle age men talked about the experience of serving in the military while finishing the remainders of their soft drinks. This restaurant, located in the heart of downtown Lock Haven, is a place where all kinds of people gather for food and conversation, apparently for nearly 100 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment