Saturday, March 23, 2024

Snow Geese in Rehoboth Beach



Sometimes we are just lucky. After driving four hours, we three cats who are all reluctant travelers, I was unpacking the car when I noticed a huge flock of geese, descending not too far away. I paused to watch for a few minutes, noticing that there were flashes of white as birds descended and ascended – they were migrating snow geese. The birds were on their spring migration north to their breeding grounds in the Arctic.

With the roof bag unloaded and stored, the cats were relatively happy in Room 119, their temporary home for the week, I got in the car to go for a walk on the trail. In Rehoboth, walking any distance other than on trails can be difficult. As I waited at the light at the hotel, I noticed geese flying a few feet in the air from time to time and decided to investigate. Less than a quarter of a mile from the hotel, a multitude of snow geese were gathered in an empty field between medical buildings. Cars were slowing down or stopped to observe the spectacle, many people made eye contact and we knowingly returned smiles and grins with one another. Worried that I would frighten the birds if I got out, I pulled the car over watched the birds and took a few photographs. While there were a few stray snow geese for the remainder of the week, I did not see any large gatherings. It was just fortunate timing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment