Sunday, May 16, 2021

Chartreuse

 

It has been impossible to physically travel over the past year, but through food and drink we can do the next best thing. After reading an article about a liqueur made by French monks for over 900 years, the recipe of which is only know to three people in the world at any one time, I was intrigued. The liqueur is said to contain 130 herbs and plant and lends its name to the shade of green by the same name.

I purchased a bottle of Chartreuse to help celebrate the end of a difficult year. During the pandemic year some of my favorite Belgian beers, expensive to start with, tripled in price because the commercial airliners delivering them from Europe were not flying. After reading the article, I was doubtful that I would be able to find a bottle in rural Pennsylvania. But to my surprise, the state wine and spirits store in Chambersburg had six bottles according to the online inventory. I went mid-morning on a Monday, hoping to avoid a pre-holiday crowd. Not many people, but still busier than I imagined.

The article said it tastes like ‘grassy Jägermeister,’ the famous German herbal liqueur. I found it sweet, and extraordinarily strong. It is pleasant, but not something I would want to drink regularly. Angie said it tasted medicinal, which is to be expected since its origins were as an elixir. The little bit we had on New Year’s Eve night was enough to hold us for a while. I am sure the bottle will last us for a long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment