Thursday, January 21, 2016

Impressions of San Juan

Sentry Box at San Christobal, built c.1780
It is difficult to know a city whilst only spending a few short days. Nonetheless, urban walks of exploration, supplemented with deliberate reading and choice museum visits can provide several impressions. San Juan is an interesting mixture of Spanish and American influences, where English-language popular culture masks a history that runs deep.
The Spanish settlement that began in the early 16th-century started a process that led to the great artifices of fortresses and laid out a town that charms visitors today. At the same time, while Spanish cultural survives, the preceding Taino culture is all but gone. The remaining evidence of that indigenous culture is limited to a few place names around the island of Puerto Rico and tantalizing exhibits in museums such as Museo de las Américas.
A Statue of LBJ stares passively at the Capitol of Puerto Rico
The capitol building of Puerto Rico is a beautiful building that resembles several state capitols on the mainland. Like other capitals, the surrounding statues and monuments say a lot about Puerto Rican culture; or, at least what those in power would have you believe is the culture. The walkway of presidents, located across the street from the capitol building, commemorates the nine American presidents who have visited the island during their presidential term. It is apparently a popular tourist stop on guided tours around San Juan. I watched as a group of tourist from the mainland piled out of a mini-bus to inspect and photograph the statues. The visit became a veritable popularity contest among the presidents. Among the visitors, Kennedy was, of course, very popular. A woman sat on the lap of Franklin Roosevelt, who is depicted in his wheelchair, and took a selfie. A middle-aged African-American couple headed straight for Obama to take photographs of each other. I was a bit surprised, as I watched, no one had a selfie with, or even paid attention to, Lyndon Johnson.
A sidewalk mural at Parque Luis Munoz Rivera
Beyond the presidents, no one paid attention to most of the other monuments in the vicinity. For example, the Monument to Teacher highlights the value of education in the culture. The Holocaust Memorial and the Lod Massacre monument recalls the substantial Jewish population on the island. Of course, the number of people who stop and ponder these sites paled in comparison to linger at the Castillo San Christóbal and Castillo San Felipe del Morro. As I walked through the tree-lined Parque Luis Muñoz Rivera, named for a poet, journalist and politician who favored the island’s autonomy, I was reminded that the heroes of Puerto Rican independence and nationalism are not well known by Americans.
During my perambulations I mused about the nature of tourism and tourists in San Juan. While at lunch at the Cuartel de Ballaja, the old military barracks, I watched a man constantly interrupt the wait staff with questions about food, time and safety: “In a hurry.” “Is the fish safe?” (read: I am important). It led me to think that several of my fellow companions at lunch were tourists who could not go with the flow.
The advice I often give to novice travelers is to be respectful and blend in. During my exploration of the city walls I kept coming across a pasty-white young man wearing a Wisconsin baseball cap walking around Old San Juan shirtless. Aside from the beach, I saw no other man in San Juan who decided that going shirtless was appropriate.

A woman sitting outside the Museo de las Américas store asked me if it cost anything to enter the shop. I replied, no. (Of course not, they want you to buy things, I thought). She quickly picked up on my accent, “Are you an American?” and proceeded to ask where I was from.  She, being from San Francisco, replied that she too was an American. I did not have the heart to tell her that virtually everyone around were Americans too. They just happened to speak Spanish.  



No comments:

Post a Comment