Sunday, July 5, 2015

More Dogs…

Champion Patrick of Ifold
(1923-1931)
I continue to be fascinated by the Anglo-American penchant for memorializing our canine friends in interesting and strange ways. I was touring the Ulster Museum, the national museum of Northern Ireland, when I happened upon Patrick, a massive taxidermy dog that stood about the height of my chest. Pattack was an Irish wolfhound, bred at Ifold Kennels in West Sussex and born on St. Patrick’s Day 1923. Reportedly, he was very famous in his day, accumulated national championships and sired many champion offspring. He died in 1931.

Former magazine model in her retirement years
As I have begun to notice and inventory dog monuments, I have mentally noted that there are not an equal number of places dedicated to cats. It seems that since the Ancient Egyptian civilization, cats have been maligned by poor publicity. Even Hollywood would prefer dogs over cats. However, when you think of the poses struck by dogs, as opposed to cats, one can see how dogs like Patrick, Bobby, or Station Jim might be more majestic that our feline friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment